Thus the two main elements of attitude are this tendency or predisposition and the direction of this predisposition.
It has been defined as a mental state of readiness; organize to through experience which exerts a directive or dynamic influence on the responses.
These can also be explicit and implicit. Explicit attitudes are those that we are consciously aware of and that clearly influence our behaviors and beliefs. Implicit attitudes are unconscious, but still, have an effect on our beliefs and behaviors.
As said by psychologists Thomas which imposes limits as a level attitude trend is positive and negative, associated with the object of psychology.
Object psychology here include symbols, words, slogans, people, institutions, ideas and so on.
Characteristics of Attitude are;
- Attitudes are the complex combination of things we tend to call personality, beliefs, values, behaviors, and motivations.
- It can fall anywhere along a continuum from very favorable to very unfavorable.
- All people, irrespective of their status or intelligence, hold attitudes.
- An attitude exists in every person’s mind. It helps to define our identity, guide our actions, and influence how we judge people.
- Although the feeling and belief components of attitude are internal to a person, we can view a person’s attitude from his or her resulting behavior.
- Attitude helps us define how we see situations, as well as define how we behave toward the situation or object.
- It provides us with internal cognitions or beliefs and thoughts about people and objects.
- It can also be explicit and implicit. Explicit attitude is those that we are consciously aware of an implicit attitude is unconscious, but still, have an effect on our behaviors.
- Attitudes cause us to behave in a particular way toward an object or person.
- An attitude is a summary of a person’s past experience; thus, an attitude is grounded in direct experience predicts future behavior more accurately.
- It includes certain aspects of personality as interests, appreciation and social conduct.
- It indicates the sum total of a man’s inclinations and feelings.
- An attitude is a point of view, substantiated or otherwise, true or false which one holds towards an idea, object or person.
- It has aspects such as direction, intensity, generality or specificity.
- It refers to one’s readiness for doing Work.
- It may be positive or negative and may be affected by age, position, and education.
Attitude may be defined as a feeling or disposition to favor or to be against objects, persons, and situations.
It is a well-defined object of reference. It may be defined as ‘an enduring predisposition or readiness to react or behave in a particular manner to a given object or situation, idea, material or person’.
It describes and evaluates the action with respect to an object or a situation, with each belief having a cognitive effect and behavioral components.
Each of these beliefs is a predisposition that results in some preferential response towards the object or the situation.
Actually, it is frequently used in describing people and explaining their behavior. For example- “I like her attitude”, “He has a good attitude” etc. Actually, it is characterized by the tendency to feel and behave in a particular way toward some object.