A manager responsibility is to bring about, to accomplish, and to have charge of or responsibility for and to conduct.
Mainly we can say that a manager manages all works of an organization to fulfill the goals of that organization.
The leader also needs to lead his subordinates in a right path. He needs to bear the both qualities that is managing and leading.
On the other hand leading is influencing, guiding in a direction, course, action, opinion.
A leader can only lead the subordinates but cannot manage everything to accomplish the goals.
His responsibility is to only give guidelines to his subordinate and to motivate them to do the work properly but not manage.
Though there is relationship between manager and a leader, it is necessary for a manager to also have the quality of leading. Otherwise he cannot be able to lead his subordinates.
But a leader doesn’t need to manage the whole works; he only needs to influence the subordinates as the direction of the manager. Leader only leads his subordinates but a manager needs to manage everything as well as to lead them.
The answer lies in the quote itself. When you talk about ‘Manager’, we are essentially talking about ‘Role of managing’ things for himself (be it his project, job; function etc.) But the ‘Leaders’ are those who ‘make other manage’ things.
There is clear distinction between these two roles. Therefore a good leader is always a good manager but a good manager may be the same always. But there are clear distinctions between these two roles;
- The manager drives person, the leader coaches them;
- The manager knows how it is done, the leader shows how;
- The manager is concerned with things; the leader is concerned with people;
- Leader commands respect where a manager demands respect;
- The manager takes the credit, the leader gives it.
There is a profound difference between management and leadership, and both are important.
The distinction is crucial. However ‘A manager is a leader but a leader may not always be a manager’.
When we are understand and discuss the different between the manager and leader we can realize that. So the difference between manager and leader;
- The manager administers; the leader innovates.
- The manager is a copy; the leader is an original.
- The manager maintains; the leader develops.
- The manager accepts reality; the leader investigates it.
- The manager focuses on systems and structure; the leader focuses on people.
- The manager relies on control; the leader inspires trust.
- The manager has a short-range view; the leader has along-range perspective.
- The manager asks how and when; the leader asks what and why.
- The manager has his or her eye always on the bottom line; the leader has his or her eye on the horizon.
- The manager imitates; the leader originates.
- The manager accepts the status quo; the leader challenge sits.
- The manager is the classic good soldier; the leader is-his or her own person.
- The manager does things right; the leader does the right thing.
We can say, ‘A manager is a leader but a leader may not always be a manager’.
This comment is true because a leader is the developer and original characteristics of an organization. He maintains all of organization. So he may not be a manager.